Thursday, September 16, 2010

Comparing Firearm related Homicides rates between Canada and the United States

Canada and the United States have significantly different homicide rates: In 2008 it was 1.83 per 100,000 population in Canada, and 5.4 in the U.S. We can find the breakdown by method for Canada at Statistics Canada, and for the U.S. at the FBI's Uniform Crime Reporting program.


Country
Homicide Rate
percent knife
knife rate
percent firearm
firearm rate
Canada
1.83
32.7%
0.6
32.7%
0.6
United States
5.4
13.4%
0.72
67.1%
3.62


There is a very similar likelihood of being murdered by knife in the two countries, but you are six times more likely to be murdered by gun in the United States. There are many differences between our two societies, including gun control legislation. It is not a large stretch of the imagination to assume that the more lax gun laws in the United States contribute to this disparity.


In both countries handguns contribute to a larger percentage of these homicides. These can be found from Statistics Canada, and the FBI's UCR.


Country
Rate
Handgun
Long Gun
Percent
Rate
Percent
Rate
Canada
0.6
60.5%
0.36
17.0%
0.1
United States
3.62
71.37%
2.59
8.63%
0.31
Ratio US:Canada
7.14
3.07


You are 7.14 times as likely to be shot with a handgun in the U.S. as in Canada, and 3.07 times as likely with a long gun. Does our gun control legislation have a role to play? I believe the situation is very complex, but I don't think we can ignore the effect of that legislation. In an earlier blog entry I overlaid various gun control measures with our homicide rate.

2 comments:

  1. Good data, thank you Impact.

    However, Long gun control began in 1973. It would be interesting to see these graphs extending back to 1970,

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will keep trying to find additional data. I know there is much better detail in pay for reports from Statistics Canada but with zero budget for my blog I am restricted to extracting from the free reports I can find.

    If anyone comes across this type of data I would be happy to include it in my future analysis. Please e-mail me at Q.Impact@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete