Monday, September 13, 2010

Comparison between Gun Ownership and Homicide

Welcome to ?Impact's first blog entry. ?Impact means Questionable Impact, this blog is mostly about political issues in Canada. I have been contributing to the Globe & Mail comments section for many months but decided that the limited format there does not allow me to fully express my views. This first entry will be simple, and relates to the firearms debate that is taking place in Canada. I will start with a comparison between Gun Ownership in Canada and Homicide rate (both for 2008 and the years 2000-2008). I am only looking at provinces where the number of homicides are greater than 15 as the rates in the smaller provinces can be greatly skewed by just 1 or 2 homicides.



There seems to be a rough correlation between the two statistics, with the exception of Saskatchewan. I will let the reader draw their own conclusions.

Gun ownership from the RCMP
Homicide rate from: Statistics Canada
Historical homicide rate from Statistics Canada

No comments:

Post a Comment