Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Homicide rate by firearm in Canada

In my last post on homicide rates in Canada with the various gun legislations I received some feedback that the total homicide rate might be misleading as firearms only account for around 30% of overall homicides. I decided to repeat the exercise, but only look at firearm related homicides. It was challenging as this information is not as readily available. I was able to find most of the information for recent years in the charts from Statistics Canada and tables from Juristat in 1995 (page 6) and 1997 (page 7). I noticed some very slight discrepancies in 1992-3 but they were small enough not to notice in the graph. I also had to complete the tables for homicide rate by firearm in 2007-8 which is within 1%, and 1974-6 which is within 2%. Unfortunately I could not find enough data to go back to 1961 like the previous exercise.


To clarify the effect of the Long Gun Registry, I have indicated it's implementation period by the red hatched area, the red line is still when it became mandatory.




No comments:

Post a Comment